I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a teeny bit nervous about attending the book festival with my novel. The fact that I sat in silence on the way to Eastbourne was enough to convince my Hubby; “I know you’re nervous as you’re not talking,” he said. This was true as my stomach was churning and I always have something to say. Talking is a skill of mine so the silence was unusual but I think a blessing to Hubby and his ears. I think the silence made it worse as I kept looking at the clock and worrying I would be late every time we stopped at traffic lights. It was a stressful journey.
But I wasn’t late and I needn’t have worried about anything. Upon arrival, I met my fellow Cats and immediately felt myself relax as they were extremely friendly. We chatted like old friends and laughed lots especially under the lighting that gave us a green tinge in photos (until a nice man sorted it).
But best of all, I met new readers for my book. I don’t mind admitting it was a buzz talking about and selling my book if a little nervous signing it in front of them. I loved chatting to them about Katie, writing and what’s next. Their enthusiasm was contagious. I hope when Christmas morning comes, people are thrilled with their gift.
I loved the experience but there’s plenty to improve on for next time.
Good ideas for the next Book Event
- Business cards
- Complement slips inside novel
- Book stands
- Leaflet/info about publisher. (A fair few asked about Crooked Cat and where to find those all important books)
- Let people know I’m attending in advance of the actual day (sorry friends for not being so vocal about it but I was really nervous, I mean REALLY nervous)
- Have a float for that all important change!!!!!
- Believe in myself and my novel – I really thought no one would be interested hence the keeping it quiet
- Have a steady hand when signing
Thank you to all those who stopped by and chatted with the Cats and purchased our novels.
If you’ve had experience at a book event, what’s your top tips for a successful event?
For more information on the South East Crooked Cat gang of authors, click on links. x
Love Lizzie x